Law Office of Melissa C. Marsh

Request a Same Day Telephone Consultation

Contact Us
Sherman Oaks, CA
Tel: 818-849-5206
Tel: 323-655-1002
E-mail: MMarsh

Home About Us
Areas of Practice
Articles Business Transactions Corporations Employment Law Internet-Computer Law Landlord-Tenant Limited Liability Company Partnerships Real Estate Law Trademark & Copyright Wills & Trusts
Testimonials Client Alerts Useful Links Contact Us
Request a Same Day Telephone Consultation
Visa Mastercard American Express PayPal


Your Legal Corner - Client Alert Blog

Thinking About Hiring Teenagers?

Written By: Melissa C. Marsh, Esq., California Attorney, May 2012 Add to Favorites
If you are thinking about hiring tennagers this Summer, make sure you have the proper work permits and are complying with California’s labor laws as they apply to minors under the age of 18.

How Many Hours Can A Minor Work?

First it should be noted that children younger than 14 are typically prohibited from working. Special rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work, and the entertainment industry. (LC 1285–1312).
Children age 14 and 15, must have completed 7th grade to work while school is in session and are then limited to 3 hours per schoolday (outside of school hours – EC 49112, 49116; LC 1391), 8 hours on any non-schoolday, and no more than 18 hours in any given week (EC 49116; LC 1391).

Children age 16 and 17 while school is in session are permitted to work 4 hours per day on any schoolday (EC 49112; 49116; LC 1391), 8 hours on any non-schoolday, or on any day preceding a non-schoolday (EC 49112; LC 1391), but never more than 48 hours in a week (LC 1391).

There are also special hours in which children under the age of 18 are permitted to work, whether or not school is in session.

Is a Work Permit Required?

Yes in California. Although federal law does not require employers to have minor work permits for employees under the age of 18, California requires both the employer and intended minor employee to complete the Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit.

For more information, please see the California Department of Industrial Relations’ Child Labor Pamphlet at

Tags: hiring teenagers
Posted In: Employment Law News 

If you would like to inquire about my services, please call 818-849-5206.
If you have additional questions or need specific legal advice tailored to your specific needs, please schedule a low cost Telephone Consultation.

Disclaimer: The information presented on this web site was prepared by Melissa C. Marsh for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The information provided in my articles and alerts should not be relied upon, or used as a substitute for professional legal advice from an attorney you retain to advise or represent you. Your use of this Internet site does not create an attorney- client relationship. Transmission of this article is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. All uses of the contents of this site, other than personal uses, are prohibited. You may print or email a copy of any information posted on this web site for your own personal, non-commercial, use, but you may not publish any of the articles or posts on this web site without the Express Written Permission of Melissa C. Marsh.

Home | Request a Consultation | Practice Areas | Articles | Client Alerts | Testimonials | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright© 1998 - 2024, Melissa C. Marsh. All Rights Reserved.
Website Design By DK Web Design
Catering By Devon Eats

Located in Los Angeles, California, the Law Office of Melissa C. Marsh handles business law and corporation law matters as a lawyer for clients throughout Los Angeles including Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Valley Village, North Hollywood, Woodland Hills, Hollywood, West LA as well as Riverside County, San Fernando, Ventura County, and Santa Clarita. Attorney Melissa C. Marsh has considerable experience handling business matters both nationally and internationally. We routinely assist our clients with incorporation, forming a California corporation, forming a California llc, partnership, annual minutes, shareholder meetings, director meetings, getting a taxpayer ID number (EIN), buying a business, selling a business, commercial lease review, employee disputes, independent contractors, construction, and personal matters such as preparing a will, living trust, power of attorney, health care directive, and more.